Tuesday, November 27, 2012

William, Or Bill, It Was Really Something

There are a lot of clever people in Toronto, but the mastermind behind this 'art installation' is the big kahuna of them all. It combines simple art, a clever idea, wicked humour and a brilliant (likely nocturnal) execution in a very public place.

Every morning I walk Wendy to work. As we traverse the city we take the lesser known Breadalbane street between Yonge and Bay streets. Along this street is a contentious area where a developer wants to put up more condos. The people want a park. The area, a scant few acres in size, is surrounded by plywood boards in order to keep people and their dogs out.

The developer sees an opportunity for profit. The local residents see an opportunity for a much needed green space. The artist sees an opportunity to lighten the mood. Every morning I smile when I see this, and it's with much appreciation that I thank the artist. I'm half tempted to add 'my own Bill' to the wall, but I don't want to get arrested for public mischief. Sorry, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment