Thursday, February 5, 2015

Everyone Has A Nemesis Or Two

Almost every day I walk along Wellesley Street, and the same thing keeps happening over and over. I keep encountering the same guy in the same place and all I want to do is punch him in the face. He's never actually said anything to me but he always gives me the same rotten look. I try to ignore him but it's not easy. I've thought of using physical aggression against him but I have to be careful. I've got a bad back and he looks like he's pretty solidly built. He's got a thick neck and a tough looking mug. I've even contemplated bringing a billy club, as an 'insurance policy' with me, and really giving him the goods!

I suppose everyone has a nemesis. Superman had Lex Luthor. Batman had a host of archenemies: the Joker, the Riddler, and most recently White Nose Syndrome. Sherlock Holmes had Moriarty. Darkwing Duck versus Negaduck. The entire television audience (those with high IQs and a pulse) against Ben Mulroney. The Road Runner has Wile E. Coyote as a nemesis...or did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54d21XS_GbQ).

I assume that if I have a nemesis, and all these characters have nemeses, that you probably have a nemesis. I think it's quite natural to have a nemesis or two. The funny thing is, though I have a nemesis, I can't imagine that I'm anyone's nemesis. And if you don't see yourself as anyone's nemesis, then there must be a slew of people out there who are the nemesis to many. I already gave you Ben Mulroney as an example, but there are countless others: Kevin O'Leary, Donald Trump, Donkey Kong.

Do you now, or have you ever, had a nemesis? Perhaps it was someone who bullied you, or someone who got the promotion at work that you didn't get. I can easily imagine that you would. Can you imagine what my Toronto nemesis looks like? What kind of an idiot would stare me down daily for no apparent reason? Well, I have good news. I did manage to take a picture of him. Look at the coldness in his eyes and his sour scowl. This guy is trouble.






No comments:

Post a Comment