Friday, February 1, 2013

Better Than Haggis

Scotland has made many contributions toward the betterment of the world. Let's just name a few:

- golf (admittedly, a weak start to my list)
- short, drunk, often incomprehensible people (shares this claim to fame with Ireland)
- bagpipes
- me Mootha
- whisky
- penicillin
- Sean Connery
- haggis
- the Proclaimers
- whisky (worth mentioning twice).

You'd think that Scotland could rest on its benevolent laurels, but apparently not. No, it's now giving Toronto a bar called the Tilted Kilt. I'm a wee bit suspicious that the bar may not be authentically Scottish, so I'm thinking about dropping in for a wee look around.

I assure you that this mission will be based on rigorous scientific observation. I shall observe the use of tartan, the quality of the whisky, the authenticity of the music. And there's one other thing I'm forgetting. Now what was it....? Ah, yes, the lassies!

P.S. Quite frankly I'd be surprised if a single kilt tilter could find auld Aberdeen on a map, let alone bake a beguiling buttery rowie.

No comments:

Post a Comment