Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Mighty Honda Civic

It's not uncommon for me to exclaim 'wow' when I see a flashy car here in Toronto. Typically I'm ogling a Lotus, Maserati or Ford Focus wagon. The other day a car stopped me dead in my tracks. Amazingly, it was a vintage Honda Civic.


Modern Honda Civics have become popular with street racing punks, their parents, dirtballs, Chiangstas, entomologists, and Colin Moore. More often than not, these 'punks' take a car that their parents would drive and they pimp them: tinted windows, low profile tires, Christmas lighting, custom exhausts, spoilers (so apt), and the ubiquitous 13 000 watt stereo with woofers the size of spare tires.

It's hard to believe that the Honda Civic sailed to North America in 1972 looking like the car that you see in my picture. Sharing design attributes with the Tim Bit (1976), they both became perennial best sellers in Canada.

I wonder, in 1972, if people looked at this car and said 'we've got a winner here, folks'. Clearly, it was a Cinderella moment in the annals of auto history, because this ugly cygnet has yet to have its swan song. Honda is still pumping them out by the millions (they're more stylish now).

To put the Civic's success in context we need only to look at what the competition offered at the time. There was the Tobleronian AMC Gremlin (1970). Gone! And the perpetually eleven months pregnant AMC Pacer (1975) that just never delivered. Gone! You know, I'm just not seeing those cars on the street anymore, but if I did, I'd say 'wow'!

No comments:

Post a Comment