Monday, December 2, 2013

Canadian and American Graffiti/Murals, Lear Jets, Anarchy and Luggage (from the random thoughts series)

I've hatched a plan, and let's hope I'm a good egg! All over Toronto I've been seeing graffiti/murals and I love them. I've decided that I want to include graffiti into our new condo, but not directly on the walls. My plan is to put some art on canvas, then hang it.

Originally I thought about buying graffiti-based art but it's not easy to find. I did find some that I liked but it had a New York City slant to it, and IDV don't like NYC.

I've decided to create my own. Yes...I'm going back into the painting business! I've got a rough idea of what I'm going to do, but I won't sell out and spill the beans just yet. I need to think it through just a bit more. It won't be quite as wild as the image that I posted today. This mural was found on the front of Lee's Palace, a nightclub at Bloor and Bathurst Streets. It's a breath of fresh air to walk past such a colourful facade. You'd never see anything like this in tony Yorkville. No, I think the mucky mucks associate graffiti, and to a lesser extent murals, with anarchy, plus it would clash with their Louis Vuitton luggage.

This single piece of Vuitton luggage sells for $4450. It's called the Cotteville 45. Cotteville, a town in central France, is the sister city to Cootieville, Mississippi, just two towns west of Bugtussle. The mucky mucks don't need to know that, plus I made it up.

No one in their right mind would entrust their Vuitton luggage to the tender and loving hands of Air Canada, which means that you can only own such luggage if you drive a fur-lined Bentley or if your Daddy (sugar or otherwise) owns a Gulfstream jet.

I started wondering if anyone had ever commissioned a graffiti artist to paint their private jet. All I could find was an article where a 2.3 million dollar Lear Jet was spray painted by some L.A. based hoodlums. The estimated cost of repair: $100 000. You could buy a seven piece luggage set for that kind of cheddar!

Can you see the clash of two worlds in this picture? Street level anarchy versus high-flying privilege. The two don't mix very well. Given that I intend to incorporate graffiti into my condo, it's a statement that I straddle the two worlds. Living on the 17th floor of a very nice 39 storey condo, I'm neither high-flying nor at street level. If I had to choose only one world, I know where I'd choose....

Hint: pass me my spray can.

Do you know where you'd choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment