Monday, June 2, 2014

Sugar-free Turtles

The only turtles I'll be enjoying in June will be looking like this fella that was trying to cross the road in Lower Jemseg. Turtles, when crossing the highway, are extremely confusing to motorists. We're so accustomed to seeing holes in the road that we're rather perplexed to see something on top of the road that isn't a hub cap, a Tim Horton's coffee cup or a bag full of McDonald's afterthoughts.

I had to lay down on the road to get this picture. Turtles are only about three inches tall, so photographing them can be a challenge. I was worried that he might charge (attack) me, as I've been watching a lot of African wildlife videos lately. I was looking for tell-tale signs of an attack: stomping of feet, rearing up on hind legs, jumping on my back and biting my windpipe, etc. Thankfully I walked away from the encounter, but only through my expert ability to size up danger.

Ian, if you're 'playing' in the middle of the highway, then turtles likely aren't your biggest worry. 

Oh, you mean that I might get hit by a car or truck?

Gawd no, you fool. I mean you might fall into a pothole, hit your head on the lip and not be able to crawl out. Or you could drown! 

Surely if I fell into a New Brunswick pothole full of water, someone would come along in a boat and save me?

Maybe, but there are so many pothole lakes in New Brunswick that there's always the danger that you might fall into one that was less populated with boaters and cottagers. There's also the chance that the pothole lake might be filled with turtles that might snap you to pieces with their powerful jaws. Ah...wishful thinking. What a blog that would make!







2 comments:

  1. Varty,
    Has it really come to this? If the turtles start talking back then it's time to call Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is more complicated when one no longer 'sees the turtle's head'. Only you know what I mean by that. Prunes for breakfast, anyone?

      Delete