Saturday, July 5, 2014

Deck Round

Yesterday Julian and I installed an eight foot round deck that we built in the wooded area of our property. As you can see, the deck is adjacent to the hammock. My idea was for the deck to provide a seating area in the shadiest part of the property, also allowing someone to socialize with the hammockites.

I made the deck round because I'm sick of all things square, rectangular, or with straight edges. I think it's my way of 'fighting' the squareness of the city. Rounded shapes feel more organic ad natural. Ultimately they're more pleasing to my eye.

I'll need to build some sort of step up to the deck, likely out of stone since I like the look of natural stone as an accent. That will have to wait for at least a day. This morning the scene outside my window is far less tranquil. The remnants of hurricane Arthur are passing through New Brunswick: gusty north winds, torrential rain, dark skies. Not a day to be doing anything outside, except perhaps windsurfing!

No comments:

Post a Comment