Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Rake Of Sunshine


I've decided that I need to be more 'charitable' to the people of Toronto, but why bother being charitable to strangers (who potentially could be nefarious sidewalk texters) when I can be charitable to good friends? I've offered my landscaping services, for free*, to a couple of friends of mine and Wendy's. To protect their identity and the sanctity of their garden, let me just refer to them as Peter and Robert (not their real names..wink, wink).

So, Ian, why are you volunteering? That seems out of character.

I'm volunteering for somewhat selfish reasons. I need to be active. It's a physical need. Yes, I could go to the gym, and I do, but it's not the kind of exercise that I want. When I'm landscaping I'm working towards something creative and/or aesthetically pleasing. It's good for the mind and body. When I leave a gym, everything looks the same as when I arrived (i.e. no rock walls built, no leaves raked, no muscles getting any bigger). Going to the gym is better than nothing, but it feels hollow in the garden of my mind.

Peter and Robert's garden is interesting to me. It's a perfect rectangle and very different from my own irregularly shaped property in Cambridge-Narrows. The shape of the garden practically begs for the introduction of round, soft shapes. Peter has already started this by laying down a snaking granite block walkway through the middle of the garden, from front to back. Very clever and effective.

So far I've raked about 20 bags of leaves/debris. I've cleaned out some tangled garden vegetation. I cut down a dead tree. I've extended the granite walkway by reclaiming some granite blocks. I have a few other ideas, but as it's not my garden I have to temper my plans. They probably wouldn't go for a three-times life-size bronze statue of me anyway. Or would they? In any event, I'm not yet done for this season.

A big thanks to Peter and Robert for allowing me to 'feel real' in this city. I hope my landscaping services will be an annual, on-going event.


* by working for money I'd lose my designation as 'Leisurologist' and that ain't gonna happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment