Thursday, November 6, 2014

Give It Up For......

I've had a bad back for twenty years and in that time I've had to give up a few things like I like and a few things that I love. Volleyball, which I loved, had to be dropped. Ditto for trampoline training. Biking, which I only barely liked, is gone-daddy-gone.

For years I've been stating that windsurfing will be the last sport to go and, thankfully, I'm no where near retiring from that sport. When I do finally have to hang up my harness, I'll undoubtedly continue to photograph the sport.

Now, let it be known that I didn't take today's image. This image was taken by one of windsurfing's pre-eminent photographers, a Brit called John Carter. The windsurfer in the image is American Robby Naish, the most famous windsurfer of all time (never heard of him, eh?). The location: Hookipa, Maui, perhaps the best known windsurfing spot on the planet. Anybody who's anybody in the windsurfing world has windsurfed there. I haven't (but I took pictures there in 2005 if that counts for anything).

I think this picture captures the beauty of windsurfing in just about every sense. It also captures the beauty of nature. The two are interminably intertwined.

No comments:

Post a Comment