Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Duchess Of Hazard


As I write this, I'm wearing my 'Daisy Dukes' so I have no right to call Wendy a hayseed. Daisy Duke was a character in the television series The Dukes Of Hazard. Daisy was the 'girl next door' who also happened to have legs that wouldn't quit. Her shorts were called 'shorts' for a reason. Those famous shorts became known as Daisy Dukes.

I'm wearing Daisy Dukes because I had a long pair of jeans which had a growing tear above the right knee cap. The tear likely started as an abrasion, no doubt from the kneeling and praying that I do. Or it could have been the gardening. I took the scissors to them and turned them into shorts. Living in the country, I can't just go out and buy a pair of shorts, so I made them myself.  This is how country living works.

We don't have fancy department stores, restaurants, or amusement parks. We can't ride on the Ferris wheel, or come close to barfing on the Zipper. When we need entertainment, we make our own.

Hay bale!

When I see a hay bale, I think of four things:

1) I must climb it and pose
2) What does one of those suckers sell for (thinking about beachcombing the one in the lake)?
3) Weetabix el grande
4) Jeez, I hate horses.

My back has been sore lately so I encouraged Wendy to climb it and pose, which she did with aplomb. She just looks like the Duchess of Hazard sitting up there, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment