Monday, July 22, 2013

Tornado In Cambridge-Narrows and Whites Cove

That rather large piece of Harold Jones' building (sitting in the pond) used to be part of the building that you see in the picture below. They are now approximately 300 or 400 hundred feet apart. That was the power of the tornado that we experienced on Saturday evening.

The tornado struck around 7:30 p.m. in a location just two miles from where I live. Just 25 minutes prior to the tornado, I was paddling my stand-up paddleboard on the lake. The weather was hot, humid and sunny. I did see some dark clouds approaching so I decided to return to shore. Good call. We experienced a thunderstorm and heavy rain at our place, but there was no indication that a tornado was in the neighbourhood. Later that evening Julian mentioned that people were talking about a tornado. I was skeptical.

On Sunday morning I drove down to Harold Jones' place. I am no longer skeptical. Only a tornado or a hurricane could have done the damage, and we haven't had any hurricanes yet this year. I also saw video footage on cbc.ca that someone shot of the tornado. Funnel cloud. Spinning. Touching ground.

Yup. Tornado. It's the first one in my 49 years in New Brunswick. The weather is certainly 'odd' these days. Floods in Calgary and Toronto. Tornados in Cambridge-Narrows. Are these sure signs of the apocalypse?

Perhaps, but I'm not ready to crack open the bible just yet. I'll need to see some locusts first (gypsy moths need not apply).

No comments:

Post a Comment