Sunday, July 7, 2013

Vintage Hinckley

If you can't roll over in the morning and see your wife's lovely face, then at least you should be able to look out your window and see a Hinckley yacht. This is my version of heaven.

Such was my morning mourning of yesterday. No Wendy, but there was a vintage 1950 Hinckley yacht anchored across the lake from my lakeside estate, Narrowleaf.

Did that not sound wonderfully pretentious?

I am familiar with this yacht. She's lived in the channel from the Washademoak to the St.John River since I moved here. I used to motor past her in Maud regularly. She used to have a white, wooden hull but a few years ago she was retrofitted with what I believe to be a fiberglass shell. She looks magnificent. If I had the money, I'd buy a Hinckley and moor it out front for aesthetics. That's what Martha Stewart does in Seal Harbor, Maine, with her Hinckley Picnic boat. That's what many boat owners do. So few people use their boats regularly. I'm rambling.

Hinckley good. SeaDoo bad. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment