Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Distant Cousins?

CBC's Radio 2  has a feature they call 'distant cousins'. What they do is play two clips from two different songs (different artists/bands) that sound similar. They then ask (rhetorically) the listening audience if they see the similarities. Who knows if one artist was influenced by another, or if it was a blatant rip-off, or if there is no connection at all. There are, after all, only so many chords to be played, and certain chord sequences are bound to resurface all across the musical spectrum.

Distant cousins: there are many in a variety of fields. This would be true for the visual arts too. Picasso and Georges Braque 'invented' the painting style known as Cubism. Others followed. Though no two painting were identical, there were likely some cousins. If nothing else, other painters were influenced by Picasso and Braque's new style. There are a lot of distant cousins in abstract art as well.

Distant cousins: Ian and Graeme. This is a bit of a joke because I have a cousin in England who is nothing like me, but given that the Atlantic Ocean separates us, I'm going to refer to us as distant cousins.

Distant cousins: Coke and Pepsi? Pepsi was likely a blatant attempt to mimic Coke, though I've done no research to prove this. I don't drink either of them anymore because, over time, I've learned that they're distant cousins of obesity, tooth decay, and general malaise. I threw 'general malaise' in there just because I liked the sound of it.

Distant cousins: can you think of any?

Here's my last stab at a distant cousin pairing (it's a visual)....



















They both provide shelter and protection to the inhabitants, and they're both dreadfully slow. I'd say they're distant cousins. I'm always amused b the names given to motor-homes by their makers. Names like Ambassador, Bullet, Cheetah, Desert Fox, Eagle, Flying Cloud, and Gazelle. None of them seem particularly honest. If I ever start my own RV manufacturing business, I'm gone to name my models: Snail, Turtle, and Hermit Crab. Finally, truth in advertising.

Distant cousins: truth and advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment