Friday, September 12, 2014

Making An Ass Of Our Sleeves: Dyslexia At 4 A.M.

It's 4 a.m.and I can't sleep. Perhaps I should scold myself for drinking a bath tub sized de-caf café au lait at Café de la Grave at 8 p.m.. Now that methinks of it, methinks that I forgot to mention to the waitress that I wanted my drink to be de-caf.. Did I also mention that I'm lactose intolerant?

Ian, you are a genius!

My stomach feels fine, so it's not the lack of toes that's keeping me awake. It could be the caffeine, I suppose, but I had no trouble falling asleep. Hmmm....maybe it's the howling wind outside that's rattling my cage? Oh, it is windy out there. It's been howling like a band of tinky-winkies for the past few nocturnal hours. Strange that I should be windsurfing tomorrow morning in what may be extremely challenging conditions, yet my body is depriving me of what I need more than anything...sleep. Maybe I'm just nervously excited about windsurfing in the morning.

Or maybe you shuddna drank that urn-sized coffee at bedtime, you dolt!

Sleep deprivation is one thing, but my shoulder is another thing. Did I mention that my shoulder has been giving me some grief? It's related to a scapula/neck issue that causes my right arm to be weakened. I'm always aware of it when I windsurf in challenging conditions.

What do you mean by challenging conditions?

Well, at 11 p.m. in les Îles de la Madeleine, the wind was gusting to 59 km/h, and I believe things have picked up since then. I can't give you the midnight to 4 a.m. readings because the weather station here says those stats are 'not observed'. That's 'Environment Canada speak' for the weather station blew over in a gust, or Jean-somebody went out for poutine at midnight and never returned to work. Bummer....like my shoulder.

Getting back to bum shoulders, one of my windsurfing house-mates here in the Maggies, Finn, also has a bum shoulder. He's got it far worse than me. Poor guy, he wears all his troubles on his sleeve (see image below). I feel badly for him to the point where I feel like crying on his shoulder, but Jeez, that's not going to happen!

cheeky man
Well, I'd better get back to sleep....or am I currently asleep? Has this all been a dream? Will I wake up at 6 a.m. and have to write a sleep deprived blog for the day, or will this blog be there at the crack of dawn/Finn?


No comments:

Post a Comment