Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Mail Pattern Blandness

When you return from a three-week long, summertime holiday you can count on two things:

1) the lawn needs mowing
2) there's mail to be picked up.

Yesterday I picked up the mail and I was moderately depressed by the composition of the collection. In total there were 23 pieces of mail. Here's the breakdown:

Bills: 2
Political propoganda: 5
Magazines: 2
Local News: 2
Personal: 1
Groups asking for money: 11

Of the 23 pieces of mail received, I kept 8. The other 15 pieces of mail went into the garbage/recycling without being opened or read. Pretty depressing, eh? What a waste of resources and money, not to mention the inability of the senders to assess 'the other victim' (me) or his interests. I do understand the nature of blanket mailings and their effectiveness, but what a horrible waste. God only knows what the Multiple Sclerosis Society was sending as it was a grossly over-sized envelope, such that if I had Multiple Sclerosis I might struggle to open it.

I'm incensed by groups sending me things which I neither asked nor wanted to receive. In two months I'll be receiving over-sized envelopes from other charities who will be 'giving' me greeting cards or Christmas cards or something horribly inappropriate (on multiple levels). All they really give me is aggravation and a burning desire to never give them a penny.

Oh, Ebeneezer, why so scrooge-like?

I do give money to charities (or, rather, Wendy does). In fact, we're quite generous but when approximately 50% of my/our mail is from groups asking for money......well, Jeez, it's a bit much. My policy is to choose our charities, give when it feels right, and.......

Throw everything out that arrives by mail! I'd love to know how some of these more obscure charities got our name/address, because I never donated that either.



No comments:

Post a Comment