Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Maggies Rock On

Let there be no doubt that I go to les Iles de la Madeleine for the windsurfing, but part of that appeal is the 300km of gorgeous sand beaches. When you windsurf in an ocean with sandy insoles, you feel so much safer than on a rocky coast. Sand is everywhere there....under water, on the beach, in the dunes, in your car, in your underwear. Everywhere.

There are rocks there too (did you ever wonder where sand comes from? Like, duh.). The Magdalen Islands have some spectacular rocky outcroppings that inspire this artist's eye.

Exhibit A in today's three images is of an alabaster outcropping on Havre Aubert. It's not big in a Rocky Mountain sense but it is very special nonetheless. The alabaster to be found there ranges from pinky-red to gun metal grey. It's soft, it's hard. It's wave washed and sculpted in places,  fractured and angular in others. I brought some home with me to sculpt.
Oh, so now you're a sculptor, are you Ian?

I've always been a sculptor. I've merely traded my Silly Putty for alabaster. At some point this blog will feature some of my sculptures, ideally with before and after images. Please stand by for that.

Exhibit B is Bird Rock which I prefer to call Roche des Oiseaux Merde. I don't know what type of rock makes up this outcropping, but I do know that it's generously iced in bird droppings.

Exhibit C is my favourite view in all of the Maggies....les falaises on Havre-Aux-Maisons. These cliffs always look dramatic regardless of the weather, though they look particularly good on a sunny day.

Apparently there is some alabaster in these cliffs but it's difficult to access except by boat (as you round the corner). I suspect the alabaster here will remain out of reach for me and my light fingers.

The Mags rock and will continue to for many years, until the entire archipelago turns to sand and blows away.

No comments:

Post a Comment