Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Mucky Mucks

Supper last night cost $1500, but I took the TTC to get to the event so I'm still not a mucky muck. Of course I didn't pay $1500 for dinner, but many did. My ticket was free because IKWN (I know Wendy Nielsen).

The gala dinner was a fundraiser for the COC Ensemble and it appeared to be a huge success. The dinner was held immediately after the COC Ensemble competition at the Four Seasons Centre, on stage. Now I've 'appeared' on stage at the COC, adding to my impressive list of appearances (the Met, Broadway, etc.).

The dinner menu was MMW (mucky muck worthy), also known a sumptuous. I won't go into the details of the meal because there were too many adjectives to describe the menu (more than just the ubiquitous 'grain fed' label, if you know what I mean). It must have been a full-time job for someone just to describe the dinner menu. Exhausting, but scrumptious.

The winner of last night's gala, other than me, was Karine Boucher. She sang like a goddess and deserved to win. Thankfully the judges agreed with me. To make things even better, Karine's boyfriend is from les Iles de la Madeleine! Karine has been to Wendy's program in St.Andrews and she's also been to our place in Cambridge-Narrows to work with Wendy privately. According to my 'sources', Karine has been very dedicated and focused in getting her voice to a happy place. Clearly, the work has paid off. She won $6500 in prize money, enough to cover both dinner and parking.

It was interesting to be at the event. As a non-mucky-muck, I was a fish-stick out of water. I spent much of my time observing hair styles, fashions and the art of the two cheek kiss.

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
And the Beers and the antelope play.

Yes, I'm a country boy living in the city. I'm happy, thankfully, but I know where my feet belong....

In the muck. I'm going back to my plough...eventually.

When are you gonna come down
When are you going to land
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man
You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you
I'm not a present for your friends to open
This boy's too young to be singing the blues
chorus:
So goodbye yellow brick road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough

Nothing like a little Elton John to make me feel homesick!

No comments:

Post a Comment