Sunday, November 24, 2013

The Bare Facts

What the ___ is this guy wearing?

According to this poster which was spotted in (surprise, surprise) my neighbourhood, it's a jock strap. Let me confess that I'm a fifty year old male who, to this day, still doesn't understand 'the jock strap'. This poster doesn't add any clarity and I didn't attend the 'event'. Enlightenment, at what cost, I ask? I remain jubilantly stupid.

Jock straps were mentioned in my youth, in junior high if I remember correctly. I don't think I had any idea what they did then, and I still don't. If they offer support for your 'jock', why not wear underwear two sizes too small. Same effect without the gnarly cheek clenching straps (and lacy front loader).

And what the hell is a 'jock'? Seriously, if you asked me to give a definition for 'jock', then I'd probably say 'an athlete'. So is a jock strap an athlete's strap? Lord knows that I know what a strap is...I found out in Grade 4, but what is a jock, and why does it need strapping? Let's take a trip to dictionary.com for illumination...

Yikes! A jock can be any of the following: a jockstrap, an athlete, an enthusiast, a nickname for John, an innocent lad/country boy, a Scottish soldier, any Scot.

Quadruple yikes!!!! Ian is Scottish for John. I'm an innocent lad/country boy. I'm a pseudo athlete, and half-Scottish. Am I a jock???? My dad trained in Scotland while in the army...is he a jock? Julian is a strapping young country lad...and Scottish. All jocks?

Perhaps, but would you see us wearing a jock strap? Not even on Halloween. It would appear, if this poster tells the tale, that the jock strap has become the undergarment of choice among (cue the Psycho shower scene music).....the bears!

Our poster jock looks quite athletic. Judging by the colour of his jock strap and his muscly build, one might assume that he plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Or perhaps he plays for the other team......that uses those colours. The Boston Bruins.

Get it? Bruins.

Cue the Psycho shower scene music.




No comments:

Post a Comment