Friday, November 15, 2013

Yoga - Not For Everybody

Recently it made headlines in the news, and rocked the civilized world, that Lululemon yoga pants weren't appropriate for everyone. I have two words to add on that affront....Oromocto Mall.

Ha ha, as if I only have two words to say. Are you kidding? When have I ever said two words, other than 'good night', and then shut up? Nevvah!

Though Lululemon's butt hugging yoga pants may not enhance everyone's assets, yoga, I believe, is available to people of all sizes. Buddha, no small sack of barley himself, was rumoured to have attended a yoga class twice a week. I think it was Monday and Thursday, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, my point is that I believed yoga was accessible to one and all....until I saw this (pictured) postcard on the side of my Toronto fridge. At first I thought it was an image of an accident victim, likely a 'jumper' or a diving novice (no, dive into the pool, you fool! Dive into the pool, you fool....and get me a coffee. Get me a coffee.)

Can you imagine that people take their hard earned money, walk to the Bikram yoga centre, present their yoga postcard (the one on the side of my fridge) and say 'I want to do that'? All yoga poses have names and I'm going to go out on a limb, have it break, fall to the ground and call that move 'the face-plant'.

I like their sub-text on their postcard: mind, body, breath, spirit. Lose your mind. Abuse your body. Breath...if you can (good luck with a yoga mat halfway down your esophagus). Break your spirit. And for this, what do the yoga instructors say?

"Forty dollars, please and thanks."

1 comment: