Saturday, November 23, 2013

When Squeegee Kids Grow Up

Have you ever been approached by the 'squeegee kid' while stopped at a traffic light? I always find these situations awkward.

First of all, I've got a built in window washing device in my luxury station wagon. It's called windshield wipers. Duh. Secondly, I'm Scottish and I'll pretend that I have n'a got oeny money, like most Scottish people do, except that in fact we're all loaded because we're so thrifty. Even the Jews are wary of us.

The problem with squeegee kids is that they're selling something I don't need. Take a look at today's image. Now there's a service that I need! I'm also 100% in favour of not trying to do it myself. Perhaps being a squeegee kid is good training for being a professional window washer. It gives you practice washing windows and invading people's privacy (just imagine what some of these window washers have seen!).

I'd be scared sh_tless if I had to do this job. Of course this would be great for business because there would always be loads to clean off the windows below me. Mind you, I'd probably need a shovel, not a squeegee.

Did you ever wonder where the word 'squeegee' originated. Wikipedia was a bit vague, but here's what I found:

squeegeesquilgee or sometimes squimjim, is a tool with a flat, smooth rubber blade, used to remove or control the flow of liquid on a flat surface. It is used for cleaning and in printing.
The original squilgee was a long-handled, wooden-bladed tool fishermen used to scrape fish blood and scales from their boat deck, and to push water off the deck after it had been washed.

So there you have it. Everything you ever wanted to know about squeegees, and less. You'rrrrrre welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment