Friday, April 12, 2013

Ducking Vultures

I spent my last day in Toronto photographing turkey vultures as they sailed past my 20th storey condo windows. The vultures arrived in Toronto in late March, though those who practice law are there year-round. The vulture is an interesting bird to watch, or be watched by. They're constantly riding the wind and grabbing updrafts, all the while looking below for dead meat. Sometimes they'll settle for the bloodless victims of Ben Mulroney (local broadcaster and vampire), but in general they prefer roadkill.

Upon arriving home in New Brunswick I was greeted by a pair of wood ducks who have shown interest in the nesting cavity in the oak tree in front of my house. They were checking it out last year too. It's a definite sign that spring is underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment