Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I Don't Wanna Live In This Boom Town No More

The year was 1992. It was May 30, I believe. As I drove out of Toronto, heading for New Brunswick with all my Earthly possessions, the radio blared out a song called Boomtown by a musician named Andrew Cash. I actually requested the song from the local radio station, CFNY. I sang along as Toronto faded away in my rear view mirror. I was happy to leave.

Tomorrow I'm doing the same thing, in a seasonal sense. Toronto is more of a Boomtown now than it was in 1992. Take a look at the image that I borrowed. It's a simulation of all of the new condo developments that are proposed (or already started) to be built by 2020. The boom in this town is hard to fathom, and I Don't Wanna Live In This Boomtown No More! Or at least not for the spring/summer/fall. I suspect I'll be ready to come back in November. It wasn't that bad, truth be told, but I am a country boy at heart. Country Roads...take me home. How ironic that it's the 401 that will take me home...the least 'country road' imaginable.

So why didn't Andrew Cash want to live in this boomtown no more? Let's take a look at the lyrics to  Boomtown. For me they're as relevant now as they were then.

Looking at a shop display of fancy james from the south of Spain
A Lady says "Ma'am can I help you" I just say NO
I walk back out again, into the morning rain
The Smell of MOCHA CREME on my brain
I put my hands into my pockets and what do I find?
Just two cold hands kinda looks like mine

I don't wanna live in this Boomtown no more!
I don't wanna judge my life by what I can't afford
I don't wanna live in this Boomtown
It's busting down my door {Chorus}

The Landlord called last night, he said he's selling off our home
He says he's sorry but neighbourhood has changed
They'll renovate this old dump and put us out with last weeks's JUNK
Some trendy folks gonna have a new place to play
Joey take me away from here
Give me your hand and wipe my tears
This is no place for us my dear

Chorus

They're closing down the Old Shops
The Air is filled with groovy talk
of high class Art for condos on the way
Joey I spend all my days looking at these shop displays
Sometimes, it makes me feel so bad

No comments:

Post a Comment