Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Barn In Harvey Station: On Being 100

What's it like to be 100 years old? I couldn't tell you because I'm only halfway there. There are a few residents in my mom's nursing home who could tell you what it's like to be 100. If I'm not mistaken, they're all in wheelchairs.

In contrast, the barn which stands on Wendy's parents' property is still standin' (yeah, yeah, yeah) after 100 years. It was built in 1913 and it has the classic good looks of something built in the glory days of farm construction.

That barn survived World War One and World War Two. It survived one hundred Harvey Station winters. It survived gales and blizzards. It survived the Cold War, the disco era and it survived 11 years of eTalk. Pretty impressive, I'd say.........that eTalk has lasted 11 years.

I wonder what the barn would say if it could talk? It might say 'hey, Paul, how come I didn't get a Super Roof'. It might say 'looks like Dick Corey has some bicycles for sale across the road, better call Ian in case there's a CCM Mustang'. Or, it might simply say 'moo' or 'hay!', that's probably what it heard for its first few decades of use. I'm not sure when it stopped being a functioning barn, but I think it hasn't seen any cattle for over half its life. That's the truth. For once, my story involves no bullsh__!

No comments:

Post a Comment