Saturday, April 26, 2014

Double Duck Dating In The Hinterland

It's a great feeling to wake up in the morning, look out the window and have no idea what living creatures you'll see. Every morning I see something different, at least during springtime in Cambridge-Narrows. In Toronto it was just bears, bears, bears. Yawn.

Yesterday morning two pairs of ring-necked ducks paddled past my shore. They seemed to be paddling with purpose and not lollygagging. I suspect they were off to see a movie, or perhaps going to a restaurant. You know, those things that couples do on a double date.

In all likelihood they were just passing through on their way to Newfoundland, the Gaspé or north of the St.Lawrence. The ring-necked duck goes about as far north as southern Labrador in its quest for a suitable nesting site.

Wow, Ian, you could work for Hinterland Who's Who!

Well, I do live in the hinterland.

What exactly does the word 'hinterland' mean? What's a 'hinter', for that matter?

From Wikipedia: The hinterland is the land or district behind a coast or the shoreline of a river. Specifically, by the doctrine of the hinterland, the word is applied to the inland region lying behind a port, claimed by the state that owns the coast. 

I consider Saint John to be my port, therefore I live in the hinterland. There's more...

The term hinterland was from German, where it means literally "the land behind" (a city, a port, or similar),cognate with the English hind land.

Hind land...I like that. It makes me think of the Oromocto Mall for some reason.

Butt, of course! 

There's one last use of the word hinterland of which I wasn't aware. I think I may add it to my lexicon. Take a look at this (again, from Wikipedia):

A further sense in which the term is commonly applied, especially of British politicians, is in talking about an individual's depth and breadth of knowledge of other matters (or lack thereof), specifically of cultural, academic, artistic, literary and scientific pursuits. For instance, one could say, "X has a vast hinterland", or "Y has no hinterland". The spread of this usage is usually credited to Denis Healey (British Defence Secretary 1964-1970 and Chancellor of the Exchequer 1974-1979) and his wife Edna Healey, initially in the context of the supposed lack of hinterland of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

Now I'm practically drooling at the thought of using the word hinterland in some sort of clever context. I simply need to find someone who's lacking in depth. Don't worry...by the end of the day I'll have found my victims. I think I already know who they are because they are 'disgracefully' ignorant.

Is that a hint? Are you a hinter?

I am definitely a hinter, although that may be too obvious. Typically I like to be more Fraser Simpsonian, or cryptic. For example:

Fearless neighbour and stunned others (5,3,3)

Brilliant!













No comments:

Post a Comment