Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Auch Aye, Hawk Eye, Fit Is It...Accipiter Or Buteo?

This little beauty is a hawk but beyond that I'm not sure. She or he (you try and 'sex em' when they've got razor sharp talons and an attitude to match, not to mention that she/he/it was 30 feet up a tree) was spotted between Den Hill and Jemseg.

Hawks like this can be subdivided into different classes. For example, hawks can be accipiters or buteos. Today's hawk is either an accipiter (Cooper's or Sharp-shinned), or it's a buteo (Broad-winged). Quite frankly, I have no idea what the difference is between a buteo and an accipiter, other than accipiter comes first alphabetically. I have no idea what I've photographed, even after consulting a bird book. I am, however, not ashamed of my ignorance.

As hawkie is not flying, it's hard to tell if it has broad wings, and I'll be damned if I can tell you whether its shins are sharp, whatever that means. A cooper makes wooden staved vessels, so that reference is lost on me. For that matter, what's 'staved' mean? You can see where this is going, right? It's going down a dark rabbit hole with side tunnels.

How do you get yourself in these predicaments, Ian?

Curiosity, that's how. I'm curious, but I'm not overly curious. I'll dig into something, but I rarely get to the bottom of anything. My curiosity often headbutts my sense of efficiency. For example, I know a number of birders who could tell me what kind of a hawk I photographed. All I would have to do would be to e-mail them the pictures. I'd likely get a response within minutes because birdwatchers don't have much else going on in their lives.

Even more troublesome, my curiosity and my sense of efficiency are often t-boned by my AAADD (advanced adult attention def......). Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment