Thursday, May 15, 2014

Dear Mr.Eagle, Permission To Land Has Been Granted

This morning I was hoping the blog would write itself, but I'm still waiting for the plot to thicken. Yesterday when I arrived home the striped bass had found a new home on the other side of my property. It had 'shifted' from the DisGraceland DMZ border to the side of my property that I share with my good neighbour. I wasn't the only one interested in the bass, I assure you. An immature eagle was sitting in the dead pine tree above it when I arrived home.

This is not the first time I've had an eagle in the pine tree on the edge of my property, but it is definitely the first time that there's been a 35 inch striped bass washed up on shore. The eagle is no doubt licking his beak, but there is one dilemma for the gigantic bird. Access.

The striped bass is in such a location that access for the eagle is going to be a challenge. The shoreline isn't wide open. There are a few small trees and overhanging branches that it must clear. Imagine landing a 747 on the Toronto Island airport...it's that technical a landing for the eagle.

I woke up at 5:52 a.m. this morning and the eagle was on the pine tree again. It has since flown off but there's a 99.9% certainty that the eagle will be back. Would Chris Farley have driven past a buffet without stopping? Sadly, no. For the eagle, I'm sure it's obsessing about the bass. I am.

At this point it's a waiting game. Me (and camera) vs. Mr.Eagle. I'm hoping to shoot some video if the eagle tries to gain access to the bass. I'm poised.

Tick......tick.......tick.........

No comments:

Post a Comment