Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mama 'Had' A Squeezebox: Part One

Take a look at this accordion...it's the last time you'll see it (this particular one). It was built in Italy in the 1950s or 1960s and it's in mint condition except.....

It smells mouldy. The two times Wendy played it she got wheezy afterwards. Mould, my dear readership of three and a half, is bad stuff. In an accordion, it's very bad stuff...almost impossible to get rid of, or so my research tells me.

I didn't notice the mouldy smell when I bought the accordion, but I didn't try it out myself because, well, I can't play the accordion. The accordion was demoed for me and it worked like a dream. Sounded glorious.

After I bought the accordion for Wendy, I bought her a book to help get her started. The book had a section on buying used accordions. I quote: "If you open the case and it smells musty, run away. This accordion has not been played in a while and that smell is mold. It will be impossible to get rid of it." My internet searches confirmed this information.

I bought the accordion from someone I know and he is dedicated to teaching music and making music. He's more than willing to take the accordion back because he isn't interested in impeding the making of music. Far from it. Sadly I am going to have to return it. Also, on a positive note, Wendy is quite taken by the accordion so now we'll have to find her another. It's been a positive experience and educational, albeit with one big bump in the road. If I've learned one thing when buying, or trying to buy, used instruments, it's buyer beware. There is a lot that can go wrong and the more knowledge you have going in, the better off you'll be to make a wise purchase.

It's neither earth friendly nor economical to always buy new instruments. In many instances a newer instrument may be fresh and shiny but not nearly as well made as a vintage instrument. Everything in life seems to be a trade-off or quandary. Perhaps I'll write a poem about the quandary of life.

Perhaps? Perhaps?? You know you're going to write one, so get it over with, Ian.

Okay...

My clothes they were suite smelling,
Of this, too you, I'm tellling,
To get them so, no quandry,
For daily do I laundary,
And worry knot for spelling.



No comments:

Post a Comment