Saturday, March 1, 2014

Canadian Graffiti: Anger, Art, Anarchy?


I'm a huge fan of graffiti and Toronto delivers it in waves. In an alley behind Queen Street West, near Bathurst Street, is a veritable tsunami of graffiti. I think it's where Rick Mercer sometimes films his rants. Today, there's no rant, just graffiti and a half full can of thought.

Interestingly enough a few nights ago five of us had a discussion about graffiti. I announced that I loved it. Another guest announced that it made her feel uncomfortable because it felt angry. I saw her point, but I have to overlook, or simply accept, that fact because, artistically, I find the creativity stunning. And unlike many of those who frequent these back alleys, the graffiti is usually happy and bright, at least in colour. It's often playful as well, but there is that dark, almost criminal side too.

In many ways the graffiti is representative of my experience in Toronto, ranging from anger and frustration to lighthearted frivolity. Every city experiences this in its people and its attitudes. Country living, I think, falls more in the middle. Perhaps the lack of rural density just dilutes appearances, and the countryside is no different than the city. I do experience two very different palettes of colour and emotion when I look to either side of my country property. I'll have to mull this 'city versus country' theory over. I do know that everything feels distilled in the city, and this can be both good and bad.

I hope you enjoy your walk down graffiti alley. I'd be curious to know what you think. Is it vandalism? Is it art? Is it talent without a real home, or homeless art? Is it frustrated expression? What is graffiti to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment