Saturday, March 29, 2014

U of T: Something For The Men Of Stanley Street

I walk to, or through, the University of Toronto campus about five days a week, often twice a day. I am quickly becoming an expert on the world that exists outside of its hallowed halls, but what goes on inside?

I have a pretty good idea of what happens in the Music Faculty building. Ummm....music. As for the rest of the campus, I really have no idea but I suspect there's something for everyone but me.

Last year UofT had a campaign that featured signs, like the one posted in today's blog image, of famous graduates of UofT. The theme of the campaign was 'Boundless'. People with boundless talent who went on to become leading scientists, philanthropists, actors, musicians, business tycoons and even one who became famous for being famous (see musicians). It would appear that this year's sign campaign has shifted focus from people to subjects.

The sign in today's blog says 'OMG! What is that thing!? We've got a course for that. Insect Biology.

So, as I'm wandering around the campus admiring the brainy looking students wearing Canada Goose coats, and also soaking in the old world Hogwarts-worthy architecture, it occurred to me that I must be walking past students who are training to become entomologists. Seventy years ago one of them would have been my father, though Toronto would have to morph into Aberdeen to complete the scene. The ubiquitous Canada Goose coats would have to become Orkney Grouse coats. Otherwise we're a dead ringer for Aberdeen....we've got the weather and the foreign language!

I dinna ken fit he's on aboot. 英語是第二個最常用的語言在多倫多大學。

I guess insects are still trying to takeover the world, and we're still trying to stop them. Or maybe UofT is cranking out the next generation of beekeepers? Anyway, the bottom line is that you can study insect biology at UofT....good for Gup. Good for Paul. Good for the nation. Good for pollination.

Is there anything at UofT for Julian, since electric guitars are not considered a real instrument in the Music Faculty (wink, wink)? In fact, I believe it's illegal to bring a Fender Strat or Tele into the Edward Johnson Building lest it should introduce the nefarious concept of 'cool'.

Well, had Julian gone to university when he was three or four, and we did try to enroll him, there would have been the perfect course for him!

In his youth, Julian announced to the world (in his heldentenor voice) that he wanted to pursue a few vocations. The most notable, or outrageous, was to become a balloon flyer.

I'm not sure why he wanted to be a balloon flyer. It was somewhat of an old-school profession, if it was even a profession. I see balloon flying more as a leisure pursuit than a career, but apparently being a balloon designer can be a career choice at UofT. Think It'll Fly? We've got a course for that. Aircraft design.

And if you build 'em, someone's gotta fly 'em!

I suspect UofT's new generation of aircraft designers go on to work for Bombardier, Boeing, NASA, McDonnell Douglas or Fredericton's own Capital Airways, but perhaps Richard Branson cherry picks the odd balloon flyer from the promising crop of graduates.

Are there any signs at UofT for you, Ian?

I've already served one sentence at UofT and I ain't goin' back fer more. I've endured thumb-suckers, nerds and classmates who don't speak English....but neither did some of the profs! No, my days of higher education are over. I'm only interested in street smarts these days. I get my education on the sidewalks of life.

If you don't see signs that speak to you at UofT, I suppose you see signs elsewhere in Toronto that resonate.

I do. Take this one for example....

I can imagine this sign (license plate) on my car. It speaks to me.

I can't imagine you spending $251.65 (the actual cost) to obtain a custom license plate. I can, however, easily imagine you trying to unscrew this one from the car to which it was attached. Next thing you know, you'd be involved in the manufacturing of plates like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment