Wednesday, March 12, 2014

What The Hell Is That Noise? I Smell Haggis!


Imaginary conversation between me and Me Mootha....

Ian: Mom, look! There's a wee manny playing the bagpipes!!

Mootha: Auch aye. He's a strappin' wee manny. Do you think he's got any money?

Ian:  He does now.

I really wanted to call this blog 'The Battle Of Scotland' because it was the ultimate showdown. On one side of the battle was yours truly...a pence pinching, half Scot who feels the world is out to empty his sporran. On the other side....a kilt wearin', bagpipe blower who's got his case open, looking for donations.

It really was a battle royal. This Scot hates to give money. The other Scot wants you to give him your money. In the end I caved and gave him $5, but not without requesting a tune and getting it (i.e. value for money). I mentioned to the piper that my mother was a Gordon from Aberdeen, and asked if he had a song for her. He played Bonnie Dundee, one of the Gordon Highlander 'go to' songs. 

This brief moment with the bagpiper was the highlight of my day, although I did have some excitement earlier that morning when a car almost hit me at a crosswalk (I had right of way). Summoning my inner rhino, I managed to smack the car when it went by, it was that close! The driver beeped his/her horn at me. I sharpened mine.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know your mootha was a Gordon. There are Gordons in my background.

    Careful not to fall on that sharpened horn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I call you 'Aunt Carolyn', I guess.

    ReplyDelete