Friday, February 28, 2014

The Ralphie...'Oh, Everyone Was Like That'.

We never really know what people think of us, we only know what we think of them. Julian, for example, impresses me.

Is it the guitar playing and his amazing sense of rhythm?

Yes, but that's not where I'm headed.

Was it his football accomplishments even though he wasn't what you'd call a 'physical kid' at the beginning?

Yes, but that's not where I'm headed.

Is it his strategic academic 'mission' that he not only announced in advance, but delivered?

Yes, but that's not where I'm headed.

Is it his devotion to Mootha, making her life far more meaningful, rich (though not in a monetary sense) and plain old fun?

Yes, but that's not where I'm headed.

Well, what is it then? Jeez, stop making me look bad (dumb) by making him look good! This blog is supposed to be about me, not him, the clever, talented and compassionate little bastard.

It's his fashion sense. At Christmastime Julian portrayed the character Ralphie in our parody of the movie 'A Christmas Story'. Julian wore a hat that resembled the one that Ralphie wore in the movie, but was far from being a copy. I'm not sure what you call the style that Julian adopted/adapted, though I hear them called aviator's hats or bomber's hats. Since Christmastime and the release of our brilliant short film, the popularity of the bomber hats has exploded. They're everywhere in Toronto. Men wear them.Women wear them. Even little kids wear them. I'm very proud that Julian is a fashion leader...he's following in the footsteps of his Uncle Erik. Well, not quite.

I suppose he'll be wearing $700 jeans next and dissing his Winners-clad discount daddy?

Not at all. Julian bought his Ralphiesque hat at Frenchy's in Oromocto for something like $3. The hats in today's image were being sold for $180 in Toronto's tony distillery district where I once had a Kevin O'Leary sighting. If O'Leary can afford to shop there, I can't. I've never once seen the Grimace Of Greed in Winners.

I think a percentage of Julian's generation, if there is such a thing, is discovering the economics of buying used or discounted clothing. They're more prepared to be judged by what's on the inside than what's on the outside. We live in a shearling world and I commend Julian on not being sheepish in any sense.

So, he's like the wolf?

The wolf? No, that's O'Leary (or One Percent Kev as he ought to be called). Julian might actually be the sheep farmer...time will tell. All I know is that he isn't a sheep.

High praise.

Indeed. He's not dunkin'......his donut in everybody else's cup of Tim Horton's coffee. I think the highest compliment that I can pay to him is to say that I don't ever see him paying a princely price for a sweater vest.

Nope. Definitely not his style. He'll never sell out. 

He's 22 years old today and has a pretty good sense of who he is and what he stands for. That's the real focus of today's blog. Well done, Julian. To you, I doff my chapeau...












Le Père (part deux)




No comments:

Post a Comment