Thursday, February 27, 2014

Something Something, God Bless


What used to be Maple Leaf Gardens, the built-in-1931 temple where hockey fans initially went to cheer (until 1967), then went to curb their enthusiasm  (1968-1999), is now home to a lesser skating rink, a liquor store, some Ryerson University athletic facilities, a Joe Fresh store and a Loblaw's. I affectionately refer to this particular Loblaw's as Tingley's for no good reason other than 'because I can and because I want to'. This Toronto Tingley's, for the most part, is a rip-off. It's a lovely looking store, the staff are friendly and they sometimes play opera in either the fruit or vegetable departments. They know their audience! The price of the food, however, tends not to be music to my ears. Two avocados: $5. A one pound bag of PC frozen shrimp: $16.99. Not Scot (unless you're the seller).

Forgetting about the wallet gouging pricing for now, let's take a look at one aspect of Tingley's that is truly unique....the dude outside the door. I would estimate that half of my entries and exits to Tingley's involve passing by a guy who says the same thing over and over, like me when I was 14. "Mom, can I have some money?" He, too, is looking for money but he's neither begging nor chubby.

You know how if you repeat the same words or phrase over and over and over, after a while the words just seem to blend into one another? Try it for yourself. Choose a short sentence, and repeat it ten times. Eventually, at least for me, it becomes sing-songy. This is the case for the Tingley's dude. Even after filming him I still don't know what the hell he's saying, but at least I have an idea what he's doing now.

In the past I would hear him chiming his words and I was always greatly amused by his ability to 'stick to the script'. He is relentless, though not aggressive, and never changing. In essence he's offering a somewhat local 'good news' newspaper in exchange for a donation. The money, as I was told, is to help the homeless and less fortunate.

I have a rule in Toronto....never give a beggar money. It's not that they don't need help (often in the broadest sense), it's just that I don't tend to believe that the money will go to buying food. There are food banks/soup kitchens after all. My suspicious mind tells me that the money will likely go to alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, and/or Tim Horton's coffee. By giving them money, I would be abusing them (especially if they go to Tim's). I'm not against buying them food, because it feels good to help out a fellow human, and at least you know you're doing them some short term good.

I suspect the Tingley's dude is likely affiliated with a church, though I didn't take one of his papers so I don't know. For the record, Wendy says there isn't a church affiliation. Regardless, I gave him all the change in my pocket, about $6, and I expect to go to heaven for my actions. April 10 is my departure date. There is some irony that I should enhance my heavenly departure at Maple Leaf Gardens, because Leafs fans have only found hell there. It is the site of wide spread (though not shrimp dip) misery, whether talking hockey, crustaceans or avocados. What the 'world' (synonymous for Toronto) needs is some good news, and who better to deliver it?

Elvis!

On April 2, 1957 Elvis Presley gave a concert in Maple Leaf Gardens. One of very few delivered outside the good old U.S.of A. With Elvis dead, the Maple Leafs not winning a cup since 1967 followed by a move out of the Gardens in 1999, and those pesky over-priced avocados, the corner of Carlton/Church needs some good news. Who better to deliver it?

The Tingley's dude!

No comments:

Post a Comment