Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bird Flew

One of last winter's highlights in Toronto was watching the red-tailed hawks fly in front of our rental condo. It drove me to distraction, but I enjoyed it. Often, while playing the guitar, I'd run to grab my camera. My photography blossomed while my guitar gently wept.

Sadly, our new condo doesn't offer the same photographic opportunities with regard to hawk spotting. I still see the hawks, but instead of daily, usually multiple times, it's now two or three sightings per week. The hawks have not left Toronto, it's just that my sight lines are different. I no longer have an urban 'bowl' (an expanse of lower buildings surrounded by tall buildings). My opportunities are limited to catching the hawks flying through the canyon created by our new condo building and our old condo building. It's a different game and I need to be fast on the draw.

The difficulty in hawk spotting is amplified by the fact that the hawks are usually back lit by the mid day sun, thus lessening my ability to see them in direct light. If you're ever reincarnated as a raptor, then I'd suggest you plan your pigeon attacks from a back lit angle of attack. They'll never see you coming. I wonder if fighter pilots use the same tactic?

Though I see fewer red-tailed hawks, I do have the pleasure of seeing Lake Ontario, the Toronto skyline and Niagara Falls in the distance. It's a nice view, for sure. And though there are fewer hawks, I can always see a flock of cranes.

1 comment: