Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pie, Anyone?


Robert...you could have saved me!
In the first image you see Robert Grant thoughtfully warning me "Ian. look out". He never actually said that, neither did his wife Teresa. Wendy didn't say anything. Sean didn't warn me, and Lisa, well, she was the one holding the pie.

Needless to say, I got pied yesterday, and it was pieing perfection. It happened at the lagoon with a handful of French windsurfers witnessing the event. They really must wonder about we Anglos. They wouldn't have known the back story to the pieing, and perhaps you don't. Let's back up for a moment so I can tell the tale of the pie....

Do you remember years ago there was a group that would throw pies in the faces of politicians? I loved what they were doing...I admired them greatly. You can make a political or religious statement without killing people, at least in Canada. It's anarchy at its best.

I've always been a vocal advocate of pieing, and somehow Lisa was aware of this. A long time ago, perhaps 2008, Lisa attempted to pie me on the Iles de la Madeleine ferry. She made one crucial error in her attempt...she entrusted the physical act of throwing the pie to another person, Crazy Dave Cuthbertson (yes, he of the now infamous Road Rage running videos). Dave came up short on the actually planting of the pie in my face, and I think Lisa was always a bit disappointed.

Over the years I've taunted Lisa about it. I even went to far as to mention that 'I've always wanted to be pied myself'. This was simply too much for Lisa to take. With an admirable dose of patience and a larger dose of whip cream and pie crust, Lisa finally went for the gold....and she got it! Actually, I got it.

It pains me to admit this but....Lisa got me. Lisa got me good.

Will you retaliate, Ian?

No, I don't think so. Retaliation has never been my style <wink, wink>. I will keep an eye on her though.

My eyes were spared by the use of safety glasses.
Lisa, proudly displaying the empty pie plate.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Dave might misconstrue this as a competition to try and hurl it with a little more umph (and precision?) next go-round

    ReplyDelete