Friday, August 22, 2014

The Beehive (not my neighbour's hairdo)

Julian and I took a quick trip to Mount Desert Island yesterday. A 30 hour whirlwind to the island that I love, and I do love Mount Desert Island. I was just a little bit less in love with it this time, though it's no fault of the island itself. The problem? People. More specifically....tourists!

This was perhaps the busiest I've ever seen Bar Harbor, the main town on the island. It was crawling with 'tack shop tourists' licking ice creams and ogling the myriad trinkets for sale. They were also taking up all the parking spots and hogging the sidewalks.

Take a look at today's image....it's of The Beehive, one of Acadia National Park's famed hikes. It might be difficult to see unless you enlarge the image, but the Beehive was buzzing with.....(ack) people! Julian and I decided not to hike the Beehive because it was jammed with people. If that wasn't enough, we couldn't even find a parking spot below (not even along the road). It was a zoo!

It's nice to see a place fall victim to its own success....doesn't happen too often. It was a valuable lesson for me (not that I've fallen victim to my success...or have I?). The lesson was to never go back again in mid-August. In the future I'll go back in late June or September, but I will go back.

Also worth mentioning: the doughnuts at the Colonel's Bakery in Northeast harbor are to die for...literally and figuratively. They were stunningly delicious, particularly the cinnamon one (but they're all awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment