Sunday, January 19, 2014

And You Thought Volvos Were The Safest Cars??

Asteroids, planes and suicidal stock brokers....all things that fall from the sky during unsettled times.

Are you prepared for the impact? I'm not, but the owner of this Saab certainly was!

For decades now Volvo has been telling us how their cars are among the safest. It may or may not be true, but the perception that Volvos are safe still exists. I can't afford one, so I really don't give a bleep. The fact of the matter is that no cars are safe, particularly when they come face to face with a thunderin' Tundra or a giant Sequoia. There are times in life when an airbag just ain't gonna save ya. Sorry.

There's no question that the Swedes build nice cars, but they were not the originators of the airbag (front or side). Oldsmobile introduced the first front airbag equipped car, the Toronado, available to the buying public in 1973. You'd be hard pressed to find a car these days without airbags. In Toronto you'd be hard pressed to find a car these days without an angry, horn-blowing windbag behind the wheel. I've seen two people (in cars) giving the one finger wave to other drivers in the past two days. In either case, safety was not an issue as it was simply a case of aggressive drivers being impatient. From the safety of the sidewalk, I gave them both the finger. Well, not really, but I thought about it.

Yes, I am back in Toronto. My inner Rhino senses are tingling already. I may not have a car and airbags, but I have a horn and I'm not afraid to use it.

Grrrrrr. Toot toot. Grrrrrrr.


No comments:

Post a Comment