Thursday, January 23, 2014

What Singers Think About When They Sing...Not Vinegar

It's all true!
As I type this morning's blog, I happen to glance to the right and I see a sheaf of papers magnetically clipped to my brushed steel fridge. I've never been a fan of attaching pictures or papers on the fridge, yet when someone else has images or letters on their fridge or door, I'm the most ravenous gawker.

On my fridge is a shopping list which summarizes those things we can't live without. I see white vinegar on the list, for example. What does that tell you about me? You might assume I'm into pickling, or that Wendy is searching for an alternative window cleaner. Maybe I like fish n'chips? Actually, I don't know why we need vinegar, and you don't know anything more about the shopping habits of the reclusive Vartys. You only know that Wendy wrote it, and I'll buy it, or I'll be on marital probation. Ha ha.

At her office Wendy has a heavy, virtually soundproof wooden door. There is a small black sign with white letters which quietly tells the world that Prof.Wendy Nielsen works here. That's about it. No images. No notes. No grocery list calling out for acetic acid.Wendy's professorial neighbour at UofT has a door plastered with good-humoured operatic stories and cartoons. I often stop and read them. It's a nice way to give myself a smile when I'm otherwise consumed with all-thoughts-vinegar.

This morning's image is a 'real' snapshot of the operatic world's most ubiquitous voice types and the sweeping generalizations that summarize their thoughts. I found it on Professor Nielsen's neighbour's door. The bass is thinking about fishing. The soprano is thinking about being loved by her audience (Wendy!). The baritone is thinking about technique. The mezzo is thinking about the baritone, and the tenor is thinking about money.

I can't think of one occasion when Wendy ever thought about the money when considering a singing gig. She sang because she loved to sing, and because she loved to have her singing make a difference. The money, though necessary to survive when married to a confirmed Leisurologist, was always an afterthought or a by-product. She sang for the art of the song and, yes, her audience mattered greatly to her.

Admirable and true, but more than anything......thank gawd she wasn't a mezzo!

No comments:

Post a Comment