Sunday, January 25, 2015

Brewing Elliott in the Manitoba Wilderness


I wouldn't bother watching today's video because it's really boring. This is not some kind of ruse to get you to watch it as it is truly a lousy piece of footage (give it the boot, I say). Last night Wendy and I went to the Phoenix Club to watch a band called Elliott Brood. Elliott Brood is well know to us. Their opening act was not.

Who was their opening act?

A band called The Wilderness Of Manitoba? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbSLB0pkmAo

Are they Canadian?

Like, duh. We knew nothing about them so we went to Youtube to check them out. We liked their sound. At the Phoenix The Wilderness Of Manitoba were a bit disappointing. They were incredibly less folksy sounding live, and the sound quality was terrible. I couldn't make out a single word that they were singing, so their poetry was lost on me. It looks to me like they're very talented, but I feel like this was an opportunity lost for all of us.

Elliott Brood (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgfy2SRSQZA) took to the stage around 10:30 p.m., already well past my bedtime. They showed their polish by giving a lively show featuring their distinct sound.  Their sound quality was noticeably better than those from Manitoba's outback, though my video clip (don't watch it!) does nothing to convince you of anything positive. 

It was interesting to compare the sound quality of The Wilderness Of Manitoba to Elliott Brood, in the same venue on the same night. I guess it just proves that mics and amps makes a difference. What's even more interesting for me is to compare last night's sound quality to that of Johnny Marr's show which I saw in November. The Johnny Marr sound quality blew last night's show out of the water. Hearing Johnny Marr play the guitar demands nothing short of superb sound. His poetry is written on six lines: E - A - D - G - B - E. The singing is almost an afterthought, though I like it too.

If you watch the link that I've provided for Elliott Brood (not my video...which you absolutely should not watch) then you'll see a clip of them performing on CBC's radio program Q. At the end of the clip you'll hear Jian G's voice. It's strange to hear his voice now.  

Today's blog.....

Sounds you know and like (Elliott Brood).
Sounds you don't know and want to like (The Wilderness Of Manitoba).
Sounds you used to like but now can't (Jian).

There...I've sounded off. Now I'm signing off.

2 comments:

  1. Choral Bytes has proven, yet again, that she is the most intelligent Nielsen.

    ReplyDelete