Sunday, October 19, 2014

At Least There's Sanity Indoors...More Or Less

What Has Elizabeth Renzetti written this week!?
There are some seriously strange people in Toronto. Some are clearly suffering from severe mental illness and have little or no idea what they're doing. Others are more mildly deranged, and then there are those who simply read the Globe and Mail (they're the 'normal' ones).

Fortunately for me, there is sanity within the walls of our condo. I'm not sure if Wendy can say the same, but I hope so (she has to live with me). The minute you step outside, however, it's game on with the rest of the world.

Late last week I saw a homeless person, on the King Street sidewalk at 10 a.m., with his pants and underwear to his knees. He was peeing...right on the sidewalk. I can't say that I blame him. It's almost impossible to find a public washroom in Toronto that doesn't come attached to a $25 entrée. I've been taken to my bladder's limit in this town before, but I've never washed the concrete....yet. Not to be uncaring, but I feel secure in saying that I saw a bum on the sidewalk on that day. Lord, strike me down in 3...2....1....NOW!

Damn it! I'm still here (maybe I've already been condemned to hell...haha).

On Friday I was walking along Bloor Street when I saw a woman was talking to the air. She muttered something aloud and then shifted gears and started talking about cats. She was alone. Yesterday Wendy and I were walking along Bloor Street and some guy muttered some sage advice to us. He said something along the lines of 'if you go to the right side, the left side will be unbalanced'. He was living proof of a balance disorder as I don't think he was a kindly kinesiologist.

There are a lot of people 'in trouble' in this city. Many of them are harmless. It would be easy to get lost in the cracks of the sidewalk of Toronto. It would be easy to drown in them too.

2 comments:

  1. "There are a lot of people 'in trouble' in this city."

    Until you realize they are actually talking to their hands free iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of truth to your comment. I often have to withhold my 'judgement' until I see whether they have an iPhone or not. The iPhone talkers are their own brand of crazy (not to mention obnoxious).

      Delete