Saturday, December 20, 2014

Crosswords....F___ing Cross Words!

I consider myself to be pretty intelligent. I'm no genie-arse, but I honestly believe that I possess above average intelligence. When I look at the average man (he who idles in the Tim Horton's drive-thru before heading off to the rink), I think I fare well.

Together, Ian, we're a force to be reckoned with!

You ended a sentence with a preposition. That's not a sign of intelligence. That's a sign of the common man. You can't end a sentence with with.

You just did.

Ack! So, it's true that my alter ego and I are a formidable pair, at least intellectually. Perhaps even comically, although the jury is still out on that one. We each bring something to the table.

Indeed. I was a savant before we hooked up, and now we're an idiot savant. Like you said, Ian, we both brought something to the table.

Enough of your insolence! This blog is about cross words and you're bringing me close to the brink of swearing. Tabarnac!

Excellent, Ian, you've just sworn in one of the official languages of Bujumbura!

Okay, so every Saturday I buy the Globe & Mail newspaper. Wendy, the real brains behind the operation, reads the paper from cover to cover. I only do the cryptic crossword, the sudoku, and the dang Saturday crossword puzzle. I love crosswords because they take my brain to its elastic limit and then snap it back to its normal size.

Pass the peanuts, would you Ian?

As much as I profess my love for crossword puzzles, I also friggin' hate them! They really go too far sometimes. How is the average man supposed to know 127 Across: language of Bujumbura?

The average man doesn't, but you're not average, right? Get me a double-double, please. And watch out for flying pucks.

Before I uncover the 'language of Bujumbura', I need to first find out what a Bujumbura is. I'm pretty sure it's a town in Mexico, about 30 miles southwest of Chimichanga.

Gawd, you truly are an idiot! Bujumbura is the capital of Burundi. The languages spoken there are French, Kirundi and some Swahili. Do you know nothing?!?

Well, that still doesn't solve my crossword puzzle dilemma. The 'language of Burundi' is a 5 letter answer, and I've got R U _ D I. I don't think I can squeeze French into that space.

Please don't try.

RUfrenchDI. Oops, too late. It didn't really fit anyway. Maybe I should look at the downward clue to see if I can figure out the missing letter. 106 Down: Laxative from aloe. Oh for shit's sake, how am I supposed to know that!?








No comments:

Post a Comment