Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Twins?

Wendy and I were out for dinner last evening in Fredericton with the lovely and talented Teresa Hatto and Robert Grant. Interesting how I've worded this last sentence. Did I mean to say that we were out last evening with the lovely and talented Teresa Hatto, and we were also out with Robert Grant. Or did I mean to say that we were out with the lovely and talented Teresa Hatto and with the lovely and talented Robert Grant?

Well, they're both lovely and they're both talented. Teresa, for example, plays the piano when she's not helping people plan for their financial futures. Robert is a retired economist. That covers the lovely part. He also plays a musical instrument; the triangle, hence the talented reference. I can say without a word of a lie that I've never heard anyone play the triangle like Robert.

But enough about that lovely and talented duo. Let's talk about me! As I was leaving the restaurant, Isaac's Way, last evening I spotted a sculpture. I was immediately struck (dumbfounded dumber, really) by the resemblance between the sculpture and me. Seriously, we're like twins. I begged Wendy to take a picture of me with the sculpture, to which she complied. She knows it's better not to challenge me on any of my inane requests. She knows I'm desperate for blog fodder.

Look at me and Saucepan Sam (the sculpture's name)! The nose, the eyes, the mouth. Even the shoulders for god's sake. Then there's the stiff, wooden appearance. I love this piece of art. I want one!

"Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Saucepan Sam, the sculpture, right here tonight. ..." adapted from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Two sidebar notes from last evening:

1) Isaac's Way has done a great job of turning the old courthouse on Queen Street into their new restaurant location. The staff were superb and the food was very good. The chocolate cake was a winner!

2) The name of 'Saucepan Sam' was bestowed upon the sculpture by an 8 year old boy named Findlay McSporran, as part of a name-the-sculpture contest. It's great that such a young lad has such a creative imagination. It's even better that the lad has such a cool last name. To my ears, the surname McSporran is the ultimate Scottish last name. I just love it! With Julian's encouragement/blessing we've renamed my Mom's doll, Hamish McSporran.

Can you think of a better Scottish surname? BTW: for you non-Scots....a sporran is a leather/fur man-purse that one would wear in front of their pocketless Highland kilt. A sporran can hold money, a small flask of whiskey, or a buttery rowie if you're a wee bit peckish.

No comments:

Post a Comment