Thursday, December 4, 2014

Gehry Stuff Featuring Digital Imagery

I photographed a similar scene last year but it's just so architecturally juicy that I couldn't resist taking another crack at it yesterday. Disclaimer: I'm using a shit-cam to take the picture and my new computer doesn't have Photoshop so I'm unable to tweak my images to make them more appealing, but you get the picture anyway.

This is the back side of the Art Gallery of Ontario, abbreviated to AGO some time Art Gallery Of Ontario (ago). The AGO was the beneficiary of a $276 million renovation in 2008 under the watchful eye of starchitect Frank Gehry. I think it's stunning. The front side of AGO looks like a glass zeppelin, completely different from the back side yet equally fetching. Fetching...you get what I mean?

It's great that the AGO art spills out into the streetscape. It's the way it should be. The spiral staircase that you see 'stuck' to the outside of the AGO is just as grand on the inside. Here's a reprint from an article about the inside of the staircase:

"In designing the signature staircase, Gehry remarked that he hoped its warmth and intimacy would beckon visitors and become a place where people fall in love. Gehry then gave the appreciative crowd the double-barreled finger."

Okay, so I added the last sentence about giving the crowd the double-barreled finger. I'm using both hands tactfully to applaud this architectural masterpiece and the visionary who conceived it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment