Friday, December 26, 2014

Simple Gifts

You know how some people are obsessed with always looking their best, right? Well I don't suffer from that malady. I'd rather be myself than worry about someone's perception of me because looking your best is about perception, not reality.

Look at this picture. My real nose (on the left, in case you were wondering) looks like the love child of a slab of bologna and a strawberry. On the right, my nose makes me look like some sort of tropical bird.

That would be true if there was a tropical bird called Rodney Dangerfield!

This image is not flattering, but it's entertaining and playful. What I really love about this image, more than anything, is that it tells a story about how I managed to have fun with a random Christmas ornament. This was not an expensive gift to me. It was simply a mirrored ball ornament that held my attention longer than many other Christmas gifts. Another beautiful thing was that I didn't need to take ownership of the ball. It was mine for a moment, and then it hung silently on the nursing home's Christmas tree waiting for the next child to discover its simple pleasure.

In an age of excess, it was the perfect gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment